Friday, March 9, 2018

We Can Help Relieve Burdens Only He Can Heal

Hello Everyone,

Alberto was baptized on Saturday! He was one of Marcelio’s friends that didn’t support his baptism, but a few weeks ago he saw the light, wonderful example and happiness that Marcello has, and wanted to know more. It was really special to be part of it … Maurcelio is our secret weapon! He is helping so many people! Usually the members here are so cutely stubborn, and never want us to wash the dishes or serve them. It is always a fight, but sometimes we win! This week we were eager to help and an irma let us help with the laundry. She had no shame and we were dealing with underwear and boxers. My companion is a little bit of a germophobe (understandably), and so she decided to help with something else. We were all laughing a bit about the situation and started whacking each other with them (you already know who started it). I called over my companion, and when she turned the corner, we sisters nailed her in the face! There was such a priceless look on her face! Anyway, we are always looking for ways to laugh and have a little fun.

John the Baptist came to church with us yesterday (yeah, you read that right). We walked to pick him up at 7:30am, because it is a bit of a trek, haha. Long story short, we told him the church was close, but every few minutes he was asking us like a little kid on a road trip, if we were “there yet”. We just kept reassuring him and promising him blessings. With an hour and a half left in church, he asked if it was over yet, and my companion laughed as I responded, “only a few more minutes”. Then he asked the bishop for a ride home, haha, I don’t know if we will be seeing our friend John the Baptist back to church, haha.

Thursday night at 3:00am, we got a call from Rafael. I answered the phone and could tell immediately that something was wrong. He told me that (his dad) Irmao Barretto had passed away in the hospital. I talked with him for a few minutes and reminded him to really pray as soon as he hung up. I hung up the phone, then I started to cry. I woke up my companion to tell her the news. Irmao Barretto is a recent convert of two months here, and is so special to me. I love that man! I called Sister Locust (my former companion who was part of his baptism too) to let her know. My companion, Sister Friedman, and I decided to say a prayer together, and after that it was just really hard for me to sleep. I was thinking about his family, but also thinking about the Plan of Salvation. I stopped and asked myself, “do I really believe all that I teach about life after death - about God‘s glorious plan”? I paused, and then my testimony kicked back into full gear, and I absolutely felt and remembered all that I have learned and all that I know. A warm feeling came over me reassuring me that “yes, Sister Vance, don’t doubt, you already know”. After that moment, I just felt peace and was smiling to myself wondering what kind of jokes he must be cracking up there, and how he must be loving not having to use his oxygen tank or hearing aids! His wife, Irma Rita, and he were married officially the day of his baptism, and she told us that the day he passed away he asked her to bring him his Book of Mormon. We had the chance to visit him in the hospital the day before. We didn’t have much time in our schedule, but we made it a priority and later realized that we felt like we should and were prompted to go. We followed that prompting, and looking back, I will forever be grateful and will always cherish being able to visit and see him before he passed away. I love being a missionary – usually we are always on the go, walking at a very good pace and with purpose, focused on being diligent. But while we have seen miracles because of that pace and diligence, the most special and priceless moments on my mission have been when we slow down a bit, and really focus on serving and ministering to the “one”, just as our Savior did.

His family had been baptized many years ago, fell into less activity, but were recently reactivated. The day after he passed away they invited us to visit them; I love them so much. We talked a bit, but everyone was understandably really sad and in shock. I must admit I was nervous to teach, because I really wanted to help, but I don’t always feel like I am the best with words of comfort. Besides that, it was a pretty large group of a dozen or more immediate and extended family members. I said a prayer in my heart and we just went for it. The Spirit was so strong as we testified of the Plan of Happiness. We laughed a little together, shared a couple of our favorite memories, and talked about Irmao Barretto doing missionary work up there (he LOVES missionaries). It was a huge success, and there was an overwhelming sense of peace. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father qualifies those whom He calls. I have never lost my dad, never been abused or had problems with drugs or been divorced. But because Jesus Christ suffered for all of this and for all of us; and because we as missionaries represent Him, He leads and guides us as we look and find ways to relieve the burdens that only He can heal. He saves us from ourselves.

I am nervous about transfers coming this week. I am praying to stay in Sobral for my last transfer. I love my companion and I love this place.

Love you all!

Sister Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment