Thursday, March 1, 2018

Heavenly Father Loves Us All So Very Much

Hello Family & Friends,

Well, I stepped in poop more than once this week. Haha, sorry to start off that way, but I feel like that is the best way to describe our week. Everything basically just went wrong this week and life was a struggle, but as we were on the downward spiral, we had many (and I mean many) good laughs. We traveled to Tianguá for exchanges; one sister ended up in the hospital, and we ran into another jealous girlfriend (at least this time she didn’t cuss us out). I was called selfish by an investigator because I talked about how there will be life after death, and if we do what is right we will receive the greater reward. “The beautiful flowers, and this life you have, isn’t enough for you? You want even more? You are ungrateful and selfish” (ouch). Brazilians don’t have much of a filter (love it). They are also so loving; they are affectionate and love to hug. For us it has been great to hug the women and irmas, but with men here, it has proven to be a real struggle. We are constantly on the swerve; men here just go for it. They shake your hand and want a kiss on the mouth! Just yesterday I was looking the other way and a guy just landed one on my shoulder. Sister Johnson is scared to death about all this and said, “I am just so nervous that I am going to have my first kiss here on the mission.” You need to keep your head on a swivel here I guess, haha.

Anyway, last week we had a family home evening and an activity that was planned by our new ward mission leader. He is an ex-Stake President, and is on top of everything! It feels like none other than CEO Cary Vance (Dad) is here! I called the ward mission leader asking him for help to give rides for some of our investigators. He was on it and showed up in 5 minutes. I am pretty sure he got freaked out because he looked up and saw about 12 people just running to jump in his car. I yelled, “irmão, we’re bringing the whole neighborhood”! One woman didn’t want to go because she was embarrassed about her clothes. My first thought was to switch clothes with her, but then I realized there was no way I could do that because she only had belly shirts (dresses the size of shirts). But it’s the thought that counts, right? We found other clothes for her, but it was funny to realize that I want to do anything for these people. I love them!

We have gotten rained on a ton recently, so I got kind of sick. I was still fine, but then that “time of the month” hit, (I know, TMI) and it was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Anyway, we were sitting on a metro, and I was sitting there with just the worst face. I wanted to take off my badge because I wasn’t representing Christ very well in that moment. But then the cutest old man sat by my side and pull out a drawing of a sick, grumpy man and asked me if I was “feeling this way”. I said, “yeah”, laughing. Then he turned my “frown upside down” by turning the drawing upside down (it was a picture of a princess). He told me I was a beautiful girl, and moments later he was gone. It was cute and such a tender little mercy. I felt so loved in that moment. Heavenly Father uses other people and so many ways to touch our heart. He loves us all so very much, and I know that He loves me.

Hope all is well back home. Love you all!

Sister Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment