Sunday, March 25, 2018

Working for Campo Maior Miracles

Hello Family & Friends,

Well these past days have been interesting! We arrived in Campo Maior and wouldn’t have found our house if it wasn’t for the help of members. The house has been closed for a couple weeks, so it was filthy. Ahhh, home sweet home, haha. Baby tarantulas were found … also more than once I was taking a shower with a cockroach and it started climbing up my leg! Aghh! But we got the house back in shape a bit. I love my companion, Sister Keuiele … she’s Brazilian and so awesome! From the first night, we joined our beds and sleep side by side; mostly because we both get a little creeped out living alone with sketchy neighbors. This past week I was in Teresina for three days for a training meeting and to pick up my new companion. It was so spiritual and fun. I was able to see 3 of my prior companions that were leaving to go home. The toughest goodbye was Sister Lucas; I love her so much – she is so amazing! I’m already missing her like crazy. We ate lunch in the president’s house and I haven’t been back there since the first day I got here. Wow, it was so strange. I remembered back to all the feelings I had on my first day. I was excited and anxious to get to work, but also stressed about the language. So much has changed, and it feels like I don’t even know that old version of me. That’s a good thing, haha! We ate Sister Melo’s famous cheesecake and I just felt so loved. We were all just sitting and chatting with President and Sister Melo. They brought out a huge mug of Brazilian style herbal tea, and we sat in a circle and were sharing it and passing it around and drinking out of the same straw, and it was the funniest thing ever. It was a great time, but also a weird feeling knowing that the next time I’ll be back will be for my last dinner with them on my last day!

When I was in Teresina, I got news that a man I talked to at the bus station a few months ago was baptized! Woohoo! Anyway, as fun as Teresina was, I was antsy to get back to our area because I felt like I didn’t have a purpose in my life … haha. I started that “pacing thing” again that I always do when I don’t have enough to do to keep me busy!

Honestly, the first few days in Campo Maior were very stressful. We didn’t even know where to start. I felt a huge responsibility on my shoulders. My new companion was even more lost than I, as it was her first few days in Brazil and all. So we just got to work, and I acted like I knew what I was doing, and asked every person we ran into for directions! It doesn’t help that road signs rarely exist here; lol, haha. But despite those struggles, we saw miracles. The members gave us a ton of new referrals of their friends and we are starting fresh with them. We had 5 investigators in church, and even more that members brought with them and we will start teaching this week!

The people of this branch are so valiant. They don’t even have a chapel but they use a rented out house, and visit people with us every day. This is the best area I could hope for to finish my mission. We are inviting everyone to be baptized and looking forward to it resulting in miracles!

I am really grateful for this week and all the new challenges and responsibilities. I love that Heavenly Father is always pushing and stretching me far away from my comfort zone. He is always asking for more, and I am working to give Him just that … my very best and more of me … more of my time, focus, energy and even more of my heart. We truly become converted only through, day by day, looking to do more and to become more. We can never take our foot off the accelerator! I love the opposition and new challenges that I face here every day. It makes me stronger, but also more humble and dependent on my Savior and my Heavenly Father.

I receive tender mercies every day here, with the inspiring and comforting influence of the Spirit. I received photos this week of a family that was less active when I visited them. The photos were of them at the temple! I couldn’t believe it and am so happy! I also learned this past week that my sweet dog back home, Sadie, passed away. I got the feeling that she passed away before I got the email from my mom. I was hoping she would hold on until I came home, but it will be okay. I love her so much and am so grateful for all the times she has comforted me in my life. She has been there for me, just to lay down next to me when I was sad or recovering from surgeries. I love that pup so much and will miss her a ton. I am thankful that Heavenly Father gives us loving influences throughout our lives to soften our hearts and bring joy and comfort to our days.

Love you all!

Sister Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment