Monday, February 5, 2018

You Cannot Do Wrong and Feel Right

Hi Everyone,

Sister Freeman and I both have our first American companions, and we are just loving life. I must admit that I am feeling a little bit old right now, because I live with sisters that have only a few months in the mission. As I hit my 15 month mark this past week, I was feeling a bit like, “where in the world has all the time gone?” Once again, I swear that time in the mission goes by way faster than in “real life”.

On Sunday, Mauricelio bore his super strong and solid testimony in church. He just nailed it! But the best part was that I was able to be hear his testimony so many times when he made visits with us. We visited one “irma” named Cristina, and we have been working to get her to church, but she suffers from depression. Through the testimony of Mauricelio and the Spirit, when we passed by on Sunday morning, she was all ready to go! Miracles! We visited others, and each visit we made with Mauricelio, the people we invited were at church on Sunday! Members truly have so much power and are an essential part of missionary work.

This past week we were teaching about the gospel of Jesus Christ – more specifically about faith and repentance. In a lesson with Flavia, I was in the middle of explaining the importance of repentance, when the Spirit reminded me of a story I have long forgotten. I shared with her an experience I had during my rebellious adolescent, pre-teen years. I was doing something I should not have been doing, and I remember that I woke up one night looking for my cell phone on the bedside dresser. But I realized that it had been replaced by a refrigerator magnet that my dad left for me. It read, “You cannot do wrong and feel right”. That was like a smack in the face – but one that was needed and very true. If I remember correctly, I think I even had the audacity to go and ask him where my phone was, which surely led to another one of those frequent PPIs (personal priesthood interviews), haha. I remember his office all too well, because I spent a lot of time in it.

Anyway, I am so grateful that the Spirit brought that back to my remembrance, because that kitchen magnet is the truest thing ever. My companion and I were able to testify that repentance really is always positive; that only through repentance and righteousness can we experience JOY. Joy is the gift that comes from intentionally trying to live a righteous life. I know that any unrighteous person or worldly thing may experience any number of emotions or sensations in this life, but they will never know joy. Truly, truly … wickedness never was happiness, but I am so grateful I know that God’s greatest gift to us is the joy of trying again … repenting. Because no failure ever need be final.

Last week we met with another investigator, Jean, who we returned to teach again after a couple months break. He almost didn’t want to meet with us, because he was embarrassed of his weakness for drug use, and for not completing the invitations we gave him. But we returned, and read the parable of the Prodigal Son. As we read, we discussed the thoughts that most likely went through his head as he was preparing to go home and face his father … knowing these were some of Jean’s thoughts as well. These were thoughts of shame and embarrassment; even suicidal thoughts. As we read, I couldn’t help but get emotional. I felt the story applying not only to Jean, but to me as well. I know that repentance both puts us on the right path and keeps us there. I love the opportunity to repent, and am so grateful to my Savior for that opportunity. I am thankful not to be lost anymore, and I know “that the thing which will be of the most worth unto (me) will be to declare repentance unto this people, that (I) may bring souls unto (God), that (I) may rest with them in the kingdom of my Father” (D&C 16:6). I love that, my mission scripture, and I still have a ton of work to do!

Love you all!

Sister Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment