Monday, October 9, 2017

Our Sacred Moment in Gethsemane

Hi Family and Friends!

This morning I looked at my companion and asked her "wait, what happened this week?" Haha, our days are so filled and the days just go by, but so many things happen. I must say that a mission has been awesome to be able to understand more about the organization of the church and the responsibilities of every leader. The church is relatively new here in the northeast of Brazil, and sometimes things are a bit of a hot mess, but I love this experience I am having, being able to help and learn. My companion and I fasted during General Conference about how we could help our ward more. After receiving our answer, we decided that we needed to start stopping by the members’ houses more often. One night we stopped at a family’s house, and we started teaching only about the premortal life, or our life with Heavenly Father before we came to Earth. As we taught, it was one of those lessons where the Spirit was so strong. Every person that was there had their perspective completely opened. My mind has never felt so clear in my life. I felt as though the veil all of a sudden became a little sheerer and see-through for me. As my companion and I walked down the dirt road, we tried to remember some of the things we said, but we just went blank and couldn’t remember. We knew in that moment that the lesson was not taught by us, but we were only used as the mouthpiece of the Spirit.

Our fast and testimony meeting on Sunday was great. We have few members, and there was a lot of open space, so I bore my testimony. There were a ton of members looking at other members, trying to play that game of pressuring other people to go up to the pulpit. My awesome companion got up there and said, "I remember that when I was a kid, I played that pressuring game, but I am up here not because someone told me to, but because I LIKE TO BEAR MY TESTIMONY!" I gasped so loud, but then was just so proud, haha. She bore such a great testimony; so truly powerful and I am so grateful for her. We are getting along great, because she likes to be straight-up bold as well, with no messing around.

Some sad news - we visited Irma Vanuza in the hospital. She was pregnant but lost her baby this week. It was really hard for them, but it has strengthened my testimony in my Heavenly Father, that everything is in His will and timing.

This past week we had another zone conference! My goodness, I feel like I have just been in meetings these past couple of weeks! The zone leaders and my companion and I gave the training. We also learned how to help our investigators understand the importance of the sacrament. I know that when we take the sacrament we have the opportunity to be there with Christ for a moment in Gethsemane. In the beginning of my mission, I remember just being more anxious and stressed about the people visiting the church, and how they were feeling, than focusing on me and my Savior. I have put that behind me and have confidence in the Spirit, that He will work with the hearts of the people we bring, and I need those precious minutes to focus on my relationship with my Savior. It has made all the difference. The sacrament has truly become something sacred to me.

Anyway, I am happy, healthy and still happy. Haha, a big shout out to my Grandpa Vance for joining the “cripple Vance crew”, #WeakKnees. Usually you’re only invited when you have more than 3 knee surgeries, but we will let you slide, haha! The photo of him made my day … and maybe my life too. I love you so much gramps, and love all of you!

Sister Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment