Thursday, September 28, 2017

A Labor of Love

Hi Everyone!

This week was crazy … again! Life in the mission is never predictable. My companion, Sister Ongaro, has returned home and is already with her family. It was so sad saying goodbye to her. It is awesome having so many Brazilian companions because they are always more energetic and happy, but at the same time so sad because you never know when you will see them again.

Haha, this week I hardly feel like a missionary; not because I am breaking rules, but because I have spent so much time traveling, I didn’t have a companion for 4 days, doing exchanges with members and running all over town, was really stressful to be honest, and I broke my name badge and am on my 2nd day without it. I feel so insecure without it, you have no idea. My sleep schedule this week was ridiculous! I slept some nights on a bus (which means I didn’t sleep at all), and then when my companion was packing her suitcase I was helping her until the middle of the night. Then when I asked her what else I could help her with she said, "nothing, but just don’t sleep; I don’t want to pack my bags alone." Haha, I wanted to die ... it was funny, but painful. The next night I slept at the apartment of the other sisters and they didn’t have an extra mattress, so I literally slept on the floor … with no pillow or blanket. I said a prayer before one lesson to have energy to teach … He heard my prayer.

I love my mission. More than 5 days this week I have woken up at 4:30am to catch a bus or go to the police station for my visa and whatever. I talk about being tired and then am working in the hot 107 degree (weather today) sun all day. The sun just beats us to death. I am dead and exhausted, but man do I love my mission … even though its killing me! I have learned that with our difficulties or challenges in this life, Heavenly Father doesn’t always take the hard things off our backs, but in reality he gives us strength to endure well the things we go through.

I am happy to be writing this from Teresina, my favorite area ever! I was able to eat lunch with some members and visit some of the recent converts. They all made me cry when they started crying. When I saw Maria, she was in the dress that I gave her and she told me that she has dreams with me in them! She said so many things that just made my heart explode. As she said the closing prayer she asked Heavenly Father to bless me and didn’t ask for anything for herself. There were so many things that brought tears to my eyes. Also, Jose Raimundo was baptized! He was baptized the week after I left, and I got so happy when I heard the news.

Last week, Sister Ongaro and I were talking about our missions, and she was talking about how she was nervous to return home because she doesn’t want to lose the happiness that she feels here on the mission. She still wants to feel the Spirit and have spiritual experiences. We started talking about how we could continue after the mission. We both came to the conclusion that forgetting yourself and thinking of others first is the key to happiness. It is really why we are so happy here. We are more concerned and worried about other people’s problems than our own. I know that the people we meet may forget what we said to them, but they will never forget how we made them feel. I know we hold in our hands the happiness of more people than we can imagine.

I have felt that happiness here in Teresina as I have visited the people that I love. There truly is power in our love for others, and in our service. When we do our part, to the best of our ability, the Lord adds His power to our effort. I am so grateful for the love Heavenly Father has put into my heart. I can't describe the perfect feeling of love I have for these people that are so near and dear to my heart. I also can't begin to express the happiness I feel being here serving with these people. I will forever be in debt to these people and to Heavenly Father for giving me the opportunity to serve His children and understand more completely the love that He has for each one of us.

Love you all,

Sister Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment