Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The End of Learning is To Know God

Hi Everyone!

Essa semana foi loca! Nossa! There were so many things that happened this week. First thing first, I am living in Bacuri and we are finally starting to see some results of our work! We had a wedding and three baptisms this week! Marcio and Elizabeth were married in the civil building and we were so happy and they looked cute. It was a community wedding, with about 30 other people, and when I was there I just couldn't help but think, my goodness you couldn't pay me to get married outside of the temple. It felt a little like Vegas with a quick marriage and a fake cake nearby to take a picture, hahaha.

Let me just say something. Can someone please get these baptismal fonts under control? Wednesday night we got there in the afternoon to start filling up the font, and it was already filled, but I am pretty sure that water had been there for six months and had dead lizards and cockroaches in it. We tried to handle it, but the water wasn’t draining. We called our ward mission leader for help and he told us to baptize them in that water, but there was no way we were going to do that. The elders were close by and helped us drain the font, bucket by bucket. It was so funny, but just the worst! By the end of it we were all dripping in sweat and dead tired. Then we helped set up a little reception for them, and so many members came and it was a really special night. My companion and I were so tired but we both loved seeing this cute couple start on the right path. Just two weeks ago, Elizabeth was totally against getting baptized, but that night her face was just beaming and she was so happy. The gospel is truly for everyone and changes the hearts of so many people.

I remember the first week here in Bacuri, I gave a talk and I was so shocked at how there was almost no one in church. I counted 25 my first Sunday, but these past two weeks we have had over 80 people! The members here are so helpful and so awesome, and excited about the work. The Feitosa family are members and are “my family away from my family”! They have an open door policy and even a closed door policy … when the door is shut they let us walk in and drink water, and Irma Maria is always offering food. These people here take such good care of us. I feel so grateful.

Adriano was baptized Saturday night! He is the nephew of a less active married couple. He is 12 years old and so smart. Our zone leader interviewed him for baptism and said it was one of the best interviews he has ever had. My companion and I had the opportunity to sing together and bear our testimonies at the baptism, and it was so cute because the Spirit testified to me that one day not too long in the future this boy would serve a mission. When he was confirmed on Sunday, the irmao that confirmed him also said in the blessing that he would serve a full time mission! His aunt and uncle are coming back strong and are so awesome. They were baptized in 2015, but moved and lost contact with the church. But they still have that strong burning testimony that recent converts have. The aunt (Daniele) is even going to visit our investigators with us this week.

This week I have recognized how much I love to learn. I have a notebook for personal study and every day I am just hungry and thirsty to learn more. I feel the same way about the scriptures and General Conference talks as I did as a kid reading the Harry Potter books (each one 7 times). I remember my parents, having to GROUND me and take away my books because all I did with my life was read these fantasy books. I would wake up before my parents in the morning to read, and at night would sneak a flashlight into bed. Now it is the same; I just want to get my hands on as many things I can! I know that we are here in this life to learn and progress, that we will not be saved in ignorance, and it is our responsibility to gain as much knowledge as we can. I love the part in my Great Grandpa High’s patriarchal blessing that says "the end of learning is to know God." I know that as I study the teachings of Jesus Christ and of His prophets, I will more easily be able to imitate and emulate His example. I am striving every day to learn of Him and by Him. I am the Lord’s personal investigator! Knowledge is ours to obtain. No one else can gain it for me. Wherever we are, we need to develop a deep desire to learn.

Love you all,

Sister Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment