Friday, July 7, 2017

Patience + Perspective = Peace

Hello Everyone!

Great news, I am staying another transfer here in Teresina! I will be staying in a trio, which has its positives and negatives, but the work will go on! Sister V. Lima had to return 4 months early from her mission because of the health problems, but I know the Lord is proud of her work. I am happy that I had the opportunity to work with her, and she was happy that she finished strong. She said that this past transfer was her favorite!

My Grandpa Gueller was in the hospital this week but is feeling a bit better and was released. I love you so much Gramps, and I am so happy to hear that you were still cracking jokes. I am sure the nurses were all loving your stories. I love you, and you are in my prayers.

Brandon was baptized this past weekend! It is always so fun to see someone young get baptized, because I can see the potential that they have, and the way this gospel will have an impact for the rest of their lives. I am so blessed to help others see and feel the joy that comes through Christ. I am also so blessed to feel the joy that comes every day from serving others and just being in their lives … whether it is tasting Irmao Batista’s famous amazon mango juice or just loving and teaching young children that their Savior is real and that He loves them so much.

I remember when I was set apart as a missionary, my stake president blessed me with "patience to see that every day is a blessing". With so many things that happen here in the mission, we always feel like we are running around, out of breath, stressed out and worried about the people we love and are teaching. But I can’t help but stop for a minute and feel so grateful for the immense amount of peace I feel here. So many times I am confused about how I can feel so calm when I don’t know what the next minute will bring here. I have learned the importance of patience. Before my mission, I associated the word patience with not getting mad when someone did something annoying, haha. But patience is also having faith in the blessings that the Lord has promised. That is why having an eternal perspective is so important. Before the mission, I loved and needed to go to the temple regularly for that reason, but now I am able to remember through reading the scriptures. I am reminded that we are a part of such a bigger plan and that when we have patience and remember our ultimate and most important goal, and live our lives in accordance to that goal, we will feel an overwhelming peace in our lives.

Things have a way of always working out in the end. I know that my Heavenly Father knows me and each one of the people that I have contact with here. He knows us, our needs, our desires, our dreams, and He will do whatever He needs to do to help us keep our eternal perspective. He doesn’t want us to just endure this life, but he wants us to endure it well … with faith, with patience and with hope … knowing that the reward is greater than any other thing.

So many people that we teach here lack the knowledge of who they are and the potential that they have because they are just focused on the here and know. I feel like my job here is more than just to preach the gospel, but to open the eyes of so many to the eternal reality of who they really are.

Love you all,

Sister Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment