Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Leaving Home

Friends and Family!

I’m broken hearted … transfers are in and I am leaving my little city of Parnaiba! I will be transferred to the capital of Piaui … Teresina! I am bummed that I will miss the baptism of Evandro, but I am convinced that the next missionaries will help him learn and grow and continue to be firm in the faith! I knew a transfer was coming because I had a dream a week ago that I would be transferred there. I was asked to give a talk in church on Sunday and was grateful for the opportunity to give a “mini farewell” talk. It was interesting to see how much I have changed since I gave a talk my 2nd week here. I’m not sure anyone understood what I was saying back then, but on Sunday I talked for 20 minutes in Portuguese with barely any notes! But most gratifying is an overwhelming feeling that I have learned far more than just Portuguese here.

It was so cute as our investigators and members were calling asking about transfers, and when I told them that I would be transferred, they told me that they would meet me at the bus station. After that, some of the people that we had only talked to a couple times on the streets started calling and saying that they wanted to be invited to the bus station to see me off! Haha, I was laughing so hard because (1) word spreads sooo fast here, and (2) I have only talked to some of these people a handful of times, but they seem devastated! It will be nice to have a little “going away party” at the bus station, and there will be huge tears on my part for sure! When people heard that I was probably leaving, they started pulling the rings and jewelry off themselves and whatever they could find in their house or off their shelves and giving it to me. So I will literally be taking a lot from Parnaiba, haha, but really more than anything my heart is so full from the love I have felt from the people here. I have learned so much more here than anyone I have taught, and I have been blessed abundantly and eternally by these people.

I am so grateful for the time I had here in Parnaiba. I can’t count the lessons I have learned, and the ways I have changed and grown. These people have touched my soul and I can’t help but cry right now as I am typing this; I have such pure gratitude for the people that I have come to love here. I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father and the opportunity that He gave me to know these people and love these people. I will never be the same after knowing them … my whole perspective of life has changed! My mission and Parnaiba are truly so sacred to me. My eyes have been opened and my understanding has been completely expanded. I feel sorry for anyone who did not run after the opportunity to serve a mission, as they have no idea what they are missing. This 1/3 of my 18 months is already blessing me, and I know that my experience on my mission will be a blessing for the rest of my life. It is an unmatched experience, and I know that after this life, some of the first people I will be looking for will be the people from Parnaiba. I love these people, I love Parnaiba and I love my mission!

I will be thanking God in my prayers for the rest of my life for these past 6 months here. As hard as I try to explain how I feel, I just can’t do it. I find comfort knowing that there is still so much to learn, and so many more people to love. I am ready to open my heart to the people of Teresina.

Sister Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment